French Horn Care
1. Prepare warm water in the bath tub. (Enough water to submerge the instrument) (Not hot water. Hot water will remove the finish)
2. Put a towel, or rubber matt in the bottom of the bathtub.
3. Mix some dishwashing detergent (not dishwasher detergent) and 1 cup of baking soda in the warm water.
4. Take the instrument completely apart, removing all the tuning slides.
5. Submerge all parts of the instrument in the warm water.
6. Use the snake to scrub the insides of the instrument.
7. Rinse with warm water.
8. Set out on a dry towel.
9. Towel-dry all parts of the outside of the instrument.
10. Leave the instrument out overnight or about six hours.
11. Apply 2-4 drops of valve oil down the slides into the valves.
12. Apply slide grease to the tuning slides and put the instrument back together.
Do this approximately once per month.
Note: If a part of the instrument will not come apart, then please bring the instrument to Mr. Shepard. Please do not use pliers, hammers, etc. to disassemble an instrument. I have special tools to remove parts that are jammed, etc.
After playing your instrument, use a soft polishing cloth, to wipe fingerprints, and oils left by our hands, from the outside of the instrument.
Mouthpiece Care – Weekly clean your mouthpiece with warm water and dish detergent, not dishwasher detergent. Use a mouthpiece brush to clean your mouthpiece.
Items needed to clean your instrument.
Mouthpiece brush – $2.00
Instrument Snake – $5.00
Valve Oil – Blue Juice – 2 Oz. $5.00
Tuning slide grease – $3.00
Soft Polishing Cloth – $3.00
You can purchase these from Mr. Shepard. Please make checks payable to YMS. You can purchase these items online or at a local music store like Music Time 2214 Dunn Avenue, Jacksonville, Florida 32218 (904) 696-9882.