Trumpet, Euphonium, and Tuba Care
- Prepare warm water in the bath tub. (Enough water to submerge the instrument) (Not hot water. Hot water will remove the finish)
- Put a towel or rubber matt in the bottom of the bathtub.
- Mix some dishwashing detergent (not dishwasher detergent) and 1 cup of baking soda in the warm water.
- Remove the first finger valve to see if the valve has a number on it. If it does, then remove all the valves. If not, then label three sandwich bags. One bag with a 1, one with a 2, one with a 3. Put the 1st finger valve in the bag with the one, the 2nd finger valve in the bag with the two, and the 3rd finger valve in the bag with a three. Clean one valve at a time in the warm water. Rinse the valve and place it back in the bag.
- Take the instrument completely apart.
- Submerge all parts of the instrument in the warm water.
- Use the snake to scrub the insides of the instrument.
- Use the valve casing brush to clean the valve casing.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Set out on a dry towel.
- Towel-dry all parts of the outside of the instrument.
- Leave the instrument out overnight or about six hours.
- Apply slide grease to the tuning slides and put the instrument back together.
- Apply slide grease to the D ring slide. Then apply valve oil to the D ring slide.
- Apply slide oil to valve 1 and put the valve back in the 1st valve chamber. Do the same with valve 2, and 3.
Do this approximately once per month.
Note: If a part of the instrument will not come apart, then please bring the instrument to Mr. Shepard. Please do not use pliers, hammers, etc. to disassemble an instrument. I have special tools to remove parts that are jammed, etc.
After playing your instrument, use a soft polishing cloth, to wipe fingerprints, and oils left by our hands, from the outside of the instrument.
Mouthpiece Care – Weekly clean your mouthpiece with warm water and dish detergent, not dishwasher detergent. Use a mouthpiece brush to clean your mouthpiece.
Items needed to clean your instrument.
Mouthpiece brush – $2.00
Trumpet – $5.00
Euphonium – $5.00
Tuba – $5.00
Valve Casing Brush – $1.00
Valve Oil – Blue Juice – 2 Oz. $5.00
Tuning slide grease – $3.00
Soft Polishing Cloth – $3.00
You can purchase these from Mr. Shepard. Please make checks payable to YMS. You can purchase these items online or at a local music store like Music Time 2214 Dunn Avenue, Jacksonville, Florida 32218 (904) 696-9882.